(678) 762-1700 Menu

3400-A Old Milton Parkway Suite 520, Alpharetta, GA 30005

Hours of Operation >>

10 Things to Know Before Getting LASIK

According to the American Refractive Surgery Council (ARSC), thanks to decades of continuously improving the technology and technique, today LASIK delivers a patient satisfaction rate as high as 96%.

Prior to undergoing this life-changing experience, here are some of the essential points you need to keep in mind:

1. LASIK is not suited for everyone

While LASIK has an exceptional safety profile, certain conditions can limit the success of LASIK results. Factors like the pupil size, the shape and thickness of the cornea, the refractive errors, dry eye syndrome, and your medical history will need to be evaluated to ensure it’s the best option for you.

2. Eligibility

To qualify for a LASIK surgery, you must have healthy eyes, a stable vision prescription for the previous 12 months, and be at least 18 years of age. The procedure is not recommended for those who have certain health conditions, and for pregnant or nursing women. If your cornea doesn't have the required thickness, Dr. Nemi may recommend an alternative to LASIK surgery, like PRK eye surgery, instead.

3. An outpatient surgical procedure

LASIK isn't considered a major surgical procedure. Though you will be awake during the entire operation, Dr. Nemi will administer anesthetic eye drops that will numb the operative area, so you’ll be as comfortable as possible.

4. Pre-surgery instructions

To reduce the risk of any complications arising, our clients are requested to avoid wearing contact lenses and make-up before LASIK surgery. While the former changes the shape of the cornea, the latter increases the risk of infection post-surgery. So, it’s essential to follow pre-surgery instructions.

To facilitate the cornea returning to its natural shape and for achieving the best results, before surgery, avoid wearing:

  • Soft contact lenses – up to 2 weeks
  • Hard contact lenses – up to 3 weeks

5. Post-surgery care

Find out about post-surgery care before your LASIK procedure. Prescription eye drops are very effective for corneal healing and help in achieving the final results. Plus, from follow-up visits and makeup to sunglasses, your surgeon's detailed instructions should be followed meticulously.

6. Break from strenuous physical activities

The corneal flap takes about 4 to 6 weeks to heal post-surgery. Physical activities like contact and water sports or a rigorous fitness regime during this time may potentially result in injury to your healing eye. So, you have to take all the necessary precautions to ensure your eye heals well.

7. The risks

Temporary side effects like temporary visual disturbance, dry eyes, tearing, halos, light sensitivity, and blurry vision are quite common, but they typically clear up after a few weeks or months. While more serious complications of LASIK are very rare, they can occur, which is why it’s critical to consult with only a highly experienced LASIK eye surgeon.

8. 20/20 vision is not guaranteed

LASIK is an extremely popular eye surgery that corrects astigmatism, myopia (nearsightedness) and hyperopia (farsightedness). Post-surgery, while 96% of patients achieve 20/20 vision, the remaining 4% may not achieve perfect vision. In such cases, additional corrective action may be required to improve the vision to a desirable level.

9. Find out about your alternatives

Good eye surgeons have at least 3 to 4 different solutions to treat particular eye conditions. So, it’s important to know what your alternatives are and the risks associated with them. Based on your specific condition, your doctor will be able to recommend a treatment that would be most beneficial to your specific requirements.

10. Your surgeon should be highly experienced

By choosing a skilled surgeon, like Dr. Nemi, you not only limit the risks associated with laser eye surgery, but it also gives you the indispensable peace of mind that you are in very capable hands. An experienced LASIK eye surgeon will advise you of the best course of action and will enable you to achieve the best possible results, minus the worry.

Lasik Alpharetta
Schedule a Consultation

Schedule an appointment